This is one of the most delicious and simple Indian veg recipes to make, made with an otherwise uncommon vegetable. I find it has less importance in American cuisine, but definitely is worth the attention in Indian cuisine. With other comparable delicacies such as kaap and bharta, I present to you my grandmother’s recipe for bharli vangi (stuffed eggplant).
- Wash baby eggplants and set aside to dry.
- Gather all ingredients: julienned red onions/laal kanda, red chili powder/laal tikhat, cloves of garlic/lasoon, turmeric/haldi, coriander powder/dhaniya chi pud, salt/meeth, garam masala, shredded coconut/khobra, green chilies, coriander.
- Put all ingredients in a mixer and make into a paste.
- Leaving the stem on, cut in half twice so that there are incisions in the eggplant, yet it is intact at the head.
- Stuff the eggplants with the paste, generously.
- In a shallow pan, heat oil/tel, turmeric/haldi, and mustard seeds/rai. Add the stuffed eggplants. Stir repeatedly. Cover with lid and stir every few minutes. When paste begins to brown and paste begins to solidify, remove from heat.
- Serve hot, with roti/poli (Indian flat bread)